- Onde Ir
- O Que Fazer
- Onde Ficar
- Info Úteis
- Apps e Multimédia
|Name||Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Velha|
|Full Address||Portugal, Coimbra, Rua das Parreiras – Santa Clara|
|Phone||239 801 160|
|Fax||239 801 169|
This convent was founded in 1283 by the Abbess Dona Mor Dias, and given to Clarisse nuns shortly afterwards. Dona Isabel of Aragon, the Queen St Isabel, took an interest in the convent and had a new church built in Gothic style, consecrated in 1330.
The site of the convent proved a bad choice, due to flooding from the River Mondego nearby. The old convent was abandoned in 1677 and the sisters moved uphill to a new building.
Note: National Monument. Archaeological site (14th–17th centuries). Interpretation centre, with visit to the ruins, exhibition of archaeological finds from the convent, films and virtual models. Guided visits. Shop and cafeteria with terrace. Disabled access.
Bus: 6, 14, 14T, 20, 31